Hemstreet Park, the next hamlet north of the former Town of Lansingburgh after Bryan’s Corners, began development around 1888 in connection with a new toll bridge that was opened September 8, 1888. The Mechanicville Bridge Company had been incorporated in 1872 with the plan of spanning the Hudson River near the ferry run by Charles Hemstreet.
Civil Engineer Hicks has just completed the survey of a large number of building lots on the east side of the river and north of Eastern-ave, owned by Mrs. Margaret Hemstreet. Several streets extending north from Eastern avenue to the old ferry road have been laid out, and one has already been opened about 125 feet distant from the river. The new street is now being gravelled. Lots with a frontage of 50 feet on the west side of this street are offered at $300. Numerous parties have already inspected these new building lots with a view to purchasing. East Mechanicville has the possibilities of a smart young city before it. Let us suggest a few names for the streets of the new village: Hudson, Hoosick, Schaghticoke and Rensselaer.
Mechanicville Mercury. September 21, 1888: 3 col 3.
Parties are still negotiating for land at “Hemstreet Park.” […]
“Hemstreet Park” has been decided on as the name for the new city this side of the river. A park is soon to be laid out and also a handsome driveway.
“Reynolds.” Mechanicville Mercury. May 12, 1893: 2 col 2.