The Village Green
Later also called the 12th Street Park, the 112th Street Park, the Village Park, and the Lansingburgh Park.
The Green was the center of the street plan for the village of Lansingburgh that was laid out in 1771 by Abraham Lansingh. The Green was deeded to the village by Lansingh’s heirs in 1793. Most of the early religious and civic buildings, such as the First Presbyterian Church, built in 1793-94, and the original Lansingburgh Academy, built in 1796, were located facing the Green. As the village expanded to the north and south, other areas of the community were developed as centers of commercial and community activity, and the role of the Green as the hub of Lansingburgh diminished in importance. The Village Green, however, has survived as an open space, now used in part as a recreation field. It is one of the few eighteenth century public spaces remaining in New York State.
Waite, John G. The Architecture of Lansingburgh, New York. Lansingburgh, NY: Lansingburgh Historical Society, 1976.
A committee consisting of Village President Skillman and Trustees Bolton and Roemer, was appointed with power to obtain and place in position cannon in the village park.
Bids were received for the painting of the fence about Powers Park and the fountain in the village park, and Trustee Green was empowered to investigate the bids and report at the next meeting.
“Lansingburgh.” Troy Daily Times. June 30, 1900: 4 col 4.
—Charles Wood has been authorized by the Village Trustees to secure cannon for ornamental purposes to be used in the village parks. There not being enough money in the treasury to purchase the cannon and Mr. Wood having offered to purchase the cannon and hold the cost as claim against the village, he was authorized to do so by the Trustees.
“Lansingburgh.” Troy Daily Times. November 14, 1900: col 3.
President Skillman reported that the mortar to be placed in the village park had arrived, and another cannon, weighing 7,200 pounds, had been secured. A resolution was adopted on motion of Mr. Gray that the sum of $150, or as much therefore as is required, be expended by President Skillman and Mr. Bolton, as a committee, to pay for transportation of the guns to Lansingburgh and placing them in position on suitable foundations in the village park between Thirteenth and Fourteenth Streets, and an audit was ordered drawn to them for the amount. On motion Clerk Miter was empowered to reindex the books and papers of the village at an expense not to exceed $100, the same to be done under the direction of the authorities of Troy.
“Upper Troy.” Troy Daily Times. January 2, 1901: col 3.
The six-inch cannon secured from the United States government by the old Board of Village Trustees arrived in this city yesterday from Fort Wadsworth, New York harbor. It will be stored with the mortar, which arrived about three weeks ago, and both pieces will be mounted in what was formerly the village park in the spring at the direction of ex-Village President Skillman and ex-Trustee Bolton, the committee appointed to take charge of the matter. The sum of $100 is at the disposal of the committee for that purpose.
“Upper Troy.” Troy Daily Times. January 15, 1901: 4 col 2.
—A meeting of Post Bolton [Grand Army of the Republic] will be held next week, when arrangements will be made for exercises to be held in connection with placing cannon in the village park at Twelfth Street.
“Upper Troy.” Troy Daily Times. May 18, 1901: 4 col 3.