Annexation to City of Troy
The Village of Lansingburgh became part of the City of Troy by a bill that had been signed by New York State Governor Theodore Roosevelt on April 25, 1900 that took effect January 1, 1901. The law followed multiple attempts at annexation that reached back to at least 1856 (further, if the annexation of Batestown in 1836 is included), and multiple attempts to stave off annexation by the City of Troy including an attempt to incorporate a City of Lansingburgh. Annexation remained controversial to the last, the decision ultimately being made by the State Legislature and the Governor rather than by the people of Lansingburgh and Troy or by the councils of the Village and Town of Lansingburgh and of the City of Troy.
“AN Act to annex to the city of Troy certain portions of the towns of North Greenbush, Brunswick and Lansingburgh, including the village of Lansingburgh, and to increase the number of wards in said city, and to make certain provisions incident thereto” became law on April 25, 1900 as Law 1900, chapter 665, taking effect January 1, 1901. The Town of Lansingburgh endeavored to go out with something of a bang.
To Celebrate the Fourth.
This year will be the last opportunity the people will have of celebrating the Fourth in the town of Lansingburgh. The town can boast of having patriotic celebrations for more than a century, and as this will be the last it should be of a rousing nature. The Oolah Club has decided to hold a street parade and all the village organizations are requested to co-operate in making the day a success.
Troy Daily Times. June 7, 1900: 4 col 3.
A Farewell Celebration.
The Fourth of July celebration and parade was a success in every way. Beginning at midnight, the fire and church bells were enthusiastically rung for half an hour, and a number of cannon and various other forms of firearms fired a general salute.
This form of celebrating was continued until the parade started at 3:30 o’clock. Headed by Grand Marshal Crumby Bolton and Doring’s Band, the procession proceeded over the line of march, and many laughable make-ups gave citizens much amusement. Among the most elaborate exhibitions was the one given by the members of the Oolah Club, who presented an imitation of an old-time coach, showing the mode of travel 100 years ago, and a circus band. The best horsemen in the club were attired in the dress and armor of ancient days and were mounted on horses. Two members of the club, Augustus O’Brien and William Higgins, drove chariots, and when the parade arrived on the macadamized road these riders attempted a chariot race for the amusement of the people.
The Majestic Club caricatured the homecoming of the Astor battery. Charles Keene and Cyrus Demers gave a good illustration of an automobile. It consisted of an ordinary flat wagon with the horse concealed in the rear. Robert Davry had an original make-up, and James Sanderson drove a wagon with a number of ludicrous signs on it.
The program of the day, entitled “Lansingburgh’s Obituary” was full of local jokes and was edited by W. B. Kirkpatrick, William Higgins and Fred L. Winchell.
Doring’s Band arrived at headquarters about 3 o’clock. The musicians played a dirge, and a concert followed.
Troy Daily Times. July 5, 1900: 4 col 4.