—The excavations for the foundation of the new motion-picture theatre at [One Hundred] Twelfth Street and Fifth Avenue were started to-day. F. N. Barhydt will conduct the enterprise.
“Lansingburgh.” Troy Times. September 9, 1912: 2 col 4.
A novel method of concrete construction is being tried by the mason building the foundation for the new motion-picture theatre at Twelfth Street and Fifth Avenue. The foundation below the surface will be built without forms. This is done by digging a trench to the required depth, filling with large cobblestones and allowing a very soft mixture of cement to settle in the interstices. The work will be completed in another week, and the carpenters will then start the building.
“Lansingburgh.” Troy Times. September 13, 1912: 6 col 2.
—The new Twelfth Street motion-picture theatre is being built at a rapid rate. The entire frame work and a portion of the interior boarding have already been placed. The construction is of a novel kind, no lath or planer being used. There will be boards on both sides of the studding, with building paper between.
“Lansingburgh.” Troy Times. October 2, 1912: 6 cols 2-3.
—The new Twelfth Street Theatre will be ready early in November.
“Lansingburgh.” Troy Times. October 7, 1912: 6 col 2.
—Fifteen men were this morning remodeling the new Twelfth Street motion-picture theatre. The opening performance will be given Saturday night. The theatre will be called the Bijou.
“Lansingburgh.” Troy Times. October 30, 1912: 6 col 4.
The new Bijou Theater on which construction was started in May on the site of the old frame theater building at 112th Street and Fifth Avenue has been completed and the grand opening will be staged to-morrow evening.
The structure is entirely fireproof and is equipped with the latest developments in theater building accessories.
One of the principle features of the building is the air conditioning system which provides filtered, cleansed air, cool in summer and automatically controlled at the proper temperature in winter. The air is distributed through the auditorium through a core of outlets in the ceiling that have the appearance of lighting fixtures. The air, cool in summer or warm in winter, comes down from ceiling and goes out as used air through grills in the specially constructed double flooring of the building.
The auditorium seats 650 people, the seats being of plush and leather in a red color scheme. Lighting is by modernistic tubular shaped lighting fixtures on the sidewalls and by indirect lighting from the ceiling, the ceiling having the shell-like appearance of the ceiling of Radio City Music Hall in New York.
The entire building is finished in acoustic material so as to give perfect reproduction in the sound system.
In the end standard of each row of seats are lights that are subdued during the show and bright during intermissions for safety in the aisles.
The exterior of the building is finished in tapestry brick is varying shades from straw to light brown.
The auditorium runs north and south and is 104 feet long, 56 feet wide. The lobbies run east and west, the outer lobby being 18 by 28 feet and the inner lobby, 18 by 26 feet. A modern store adjoins the lobby.
All seating is in the orchestra or main floor but a balcony in the rear houses the projection room and the women’s lounge. The men’s rest room is on the first floor.
The modernistic theme of the theater is also expressed in the entrance and marquee which is replete with stainless steel, glass blocks and other modern accessories.
As its main sign the word Bijou in large letters is silhouetted against a background of lighted glass blocks.
The inner lobby and aisles are deeply cushioned with thick piled rugs.
Numerous exists are provided from all parts of the auditorium.
The new building including both the auditorium, lobbies and the store adjacent to the outer lobby is nearly four times as large as the old frame theater building which occupied part of the site and was one of the pioneer picture houses of the city.
The two lobbies alone occupy all the space which was covered by the old structure. Demolition of the latter was started May 8 and as soon as this was completed the new building was started immediately. The present structure is entirely new, everything from the foundation up being newly constructed.
The stage of the auditorium is 9 by 19 feet deep and is beautified with luxurious drapes and curtains.
The new theater will continue under the same management, the Wilson brothers.
Times Record. August 29, 1938: 11 cols 1-4.
DEMOLISHED — A pile of rubbish is all that remains of the Oxford Theater (formerly the Bijou) at the corner of 112th Street and Fifth Avenue in Lansingburgh. The brick structure was constructed in the 1930s by the Wilson family of Lansingburgh, replacing the old wooden Bijou Theater. The Countrywide Theaters, Inc. purchased the theater a few years ago and changed the name to the Oxford Theater. Wilson’s Liquor Store, adjoining the theater at 472 5th Ave. also was razed. A new State Bank of Albany branch will be built on the site.
Times Record. September 7, 1973: 13 cols 3-5.