Horticulturist, Seed Merchant and
Lansingburgh Gazette. October 12, 1843: 1 col 1.
☞ The glory of old Union Garden will soon make its exit. The hand of the ruthless contractor will soon be laid upon it, and the beauties of its sylvan shades, its gushing springs, its quiet retreats will be destroyed. Honest John Bacon, who, through years of toil has made it what it is, must submit to see the labor of his hands sacrificed upon the altar of enterprize; his chosen place of repose, at the close of life’s fitful journey, broken up, and in its place behold the iron horse propel the freighted car, and the noise and strife of business encroach upon its grounds. The innovations of the age follow each other in such quick succession as to almost preclude the idea of one’s setting down with any prospect of a permanent abiding place, short of the grave. The railroad will completely destroy all the beauty and symmetry connected with the Union Garden, the track running directly over the centre of John Bacon’s dwelling, which is located upon the only eligible site for a residence upon the whole premises.
Lansingburgh Democrat. June 6, 1850: 2 col 2.
☞ THE ‘BURGH.—The Gazette man is coaxing visitors from abroad to come and spend the hot season in that pleasant locality. He draws the following charming picture of the Garden and its suburbs:
Delightful walks in cool groves, pleasant seats in shady nooks, beautiful scenery, streets overarched with noble elms, pure air, admirable water, the beautiful Hudson studded with sail-boats, and then what interesting localities in the vicinity.—Cohoes Falls,, the island where Schuyler was entrenched, and where his fortifications are still to be seen, Bald Mountain, Diamond Rock, Bacon’s Garden, Love Grove and Oakwood Cemetery.
Troy Daily Times. July 10, 1856: 3 col 4.
—Jefferson Gardner has purchased the property called the “Union Garden,” south east of the village. It contains eight acres of highly cultivated land. Mr. Gardner intends to remove the old house front, and make a gate lodge of it, and will erect a fine residence on the site of the old building.
Troy Whig. April 19, 1867: 4 col 3.