St. Augustine’s Church
St. Augustine’s Church (Roman Catholic) was established in 1842. The first church edifice was a small frame building at the corner of John and North streets. A new church was erected in 1864 on the corner of John and Market streets. It is of the Gothic style of architecture and cost $40,000. In 1869 school buildings were erected in connection with the church at a cost of $10,000. Rev. J. Shannehan was the first pastor. Rev. Thomas Galberry, O.S.A., is the present pastor.
Sylvester, Nathaniel Bartlett. History of Rensselaer Co., New York, With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Prominent Men and Pioneers. Philadelphia, PA: Everts & Peck, 1880. 317.
St. Augustine’s Church. https://staugchurchtroy.com/about/history/