Powers homes between Catharine (110th) and South (111th) Streets, cropped from
Lake, D. J, and S. N Beers. Map of Rensselaer Co., New York. Philadelphia: Smith, Gallup & Co. Publishers, 1861. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, .
Powers homes and Powers Park cropped and edited from Burleigh, L. R. Lansingburgh, N. Y. First Ward 9th to 15th Sts. Second Ward, 15th to 18th Sts. Troy, N.Y.: Burleigh Litho, 1891.
Although parts of this house were constructed in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century for the Van Schaick family, the building is known historically as the Powers House. It was purchased by Mrs. Deborah Powers in 1847 from John and Ann Holme who had acquired it from members of the Van Schaick family. The original section of the house consisted of the three south bays of the main facade. After Mrs. Powers purchased the property, she had the northern two bays added, thus forming a building with a symmetrical facade. Mrs. Powers operated the oilcloth manufacturing firm of D. Powers and Sons, the largest in Lansingburgh, as well as the Bank of D. Powers and Sons. Her philanthropic activities in the village included Powers Park, the Powers Home for Aged Ladies and the Powers School. This house served as her office and residence until her death in 1891. The property remained in the Powers family until the present owner acquired it in 1937. The house appears much as it did when Mrs. Powers owned it. It is sited on an extensive lot overlooking the Hudson River on the west and Powers Park on the east.
Waite, John G. The Architecture of Lansingburgh, New York. Lansingburgh, NY: Lansingburgh Historical Society, 1976.
See also Powers family gardens opposite Powers Park and Lansing Mansion, the latter home having been the residence of Nathaniel Ball Powers.