The vast majority of the land for Oakwood Cemetery had been in the Town of Lansingburgh, with only a small southern portion in the City of Troy.

Some earlier features of the cemetery no longer exist: an observation tower called a “summer house,” a wood Superintendent’s cottage and stables a little east of the Troy & Boston rail line, a greenhouse, the covered bridge over the railroad, the metal bridge over the “Ullswater” in Section C and a smaller bridge in the area of sections Q and P, rustic shelters including one on the tiny island in the lake, a gatehouse at the Gurley Avenue entrance. There is still much of interest to see!


Sidney and Neff. “Elevation of Summer House.” Plan of Oakwood Cemetery, Troy, N. Y. Philadelphia, PA: F. Kuhl, 1850.

Sidney and Neff. “Superintendent’s House.” Plan of Oakwood Cemetery, Troy, N. Y. Philadelphia, PA: F. Kuhl, 1850.

Color depicting of night scene on Oakwood Cemetery's round lake or "Ullswater" crossed by metal bridge

“In Oakwood Cemetery, Troy, N. Y.” postcard

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)