Nelson Lewis Rifle Club of Troy
The Nelson Lewis Rifle Club of Troy named after gun manufacturer Nelson Lewis (1811-1888) who had been born in Speigletown in the Town of Lansingburgh. He can be found living in Lansingburgh on the 1840 US Census and reportedly was apprenticed to the gun manufacturer J. M. Caswell there. In later decades he was enumerated in Troy.
The club would hold shoots at Young’s Grove in the Village of Lansingburgh. The Lewis Rifle Club of Troy may have been the “old Troy Rifle Club” that was a forerunner of the “Trojan Rod and Gun Club” that was formed at the Glen Theatre in Batestown in 1921.
A number of our citizens who are interested in hunting, had another meeting at Mr. E. C. Loth’s rooms in McCusker’s building on Congress street last evening. The committee on permanent organization presented a Constitution and By-laws which were adopted. On motion the organization was named “The Lewis Rifle Club of Troy” in honor of our distinguished rifleman, Nelson Lewis. The following officers were then elected:
President—John D. Rogers; Vice President—E. C. Loth; Secretary—J. H. Haverly; Treasurer—Nelson Lewis; Shooting Committee—James Thompson and E. Frank Ritchie; Business Committee—Nelson Lewis, John Warr and Ira H. Lawton.
The sporting men in this vicinity have long felt the necessity of a rifle club, and the officers elected are a sufficient guarantee that the club will be a perfect success. The club will have another meeting at the same place on the 20th inst.
Troy Daily Whig. October 11, 1873: 4 col 1.
—The amateur Lewis rifle club held their monthly shoot at Young’s grove yesterday afternoon. It was well attended, and 14 persons contended for the gold medal, which was won by John Wolf, he making a score of 98 out of a possible 125.
“City Notes.” Troy Daily Times. July 28, 1876: 3 col 1.
“Nelson Lewis.” Lord, Philip. Living in the Past. http://www.living-in-the-past.com/lewisbio.html (“Source, as of May, 2005 is an old xerox from a large format book.”)