Love Grove was located somewhere in the southern part of the Village of Lansingburgh above Batestown. As it was owned by Abram Lansing, it may also have been called Lansing’s Grove – a possible source of confusion for local historians, since there was also a Lansing’s Grove in what is now Pleasantdale to the north of the Village of Lansingburgh.
☞ We understand that Mr. Abram Lansing, the owner of the beautiful grove in the south part of the village, designs laying the same out into village lots, and offering them for sale. They will make delightful building spots, and will afford our Trojan friends a fine opportunity to secure to themselves and their posterity, a wholesome atmosphere and plenty of ‘elbow room.’ It is almost a pity that ‘love grove’ is to be thus desecrated.
Lansingburgh Democrat. April 17, 1851: 2 col 2.
☞ THE ‘BURGH.—The Gazette man is coaxing visitors from abroad to come and spend the hot season in that pleasant locality. He draws the following charming picture of the Garden and its suburbs:
Delightful walks in cool groves, pleasant seats in shady nooks, beautiful scenery, streets overarched with noble elms, pure air, admirable water, the beautiful Hudson studded with sail-boats, and then what interesting localities in the vicinity.—Cohoes Falls,, the island where Schuyler was entrenched, and where his fortifications are still to be seen, Bald Mountain, Diamond Rock, Bacon’s Garden, Love Grove and Oakwood Cemetery.
Troy Daily Times. July 10, 1856: 3 col 4.
☞ We hope the storm of the last few days will not prevent the little children from enjoying their anticipated pic-nic excursion to Lansing’s grove to-day. Ross’s String and Cornet Band will be on hand and every effort will be put forth to make it a season of mirth and merriment. Swings, the greensward and various other nic-nacs will be served up, to say nothing of the sweetmeats that will be distilled from ruby lips in the shady nooks and sequestered walks of Lansing’s most romantic love grove.
P. S. The Clerk of the weather continues to send down the rain, and the Pic-Nic has been postponed until Tuesday next. Tickets can be obtained at St. John’s Parsonage, price 25 cents.
Lansingburgh Democrat. September 22, 1859: 2 col 4.
☞ WILL TROY HAVE A PUBLIC PARK which can be accessible to the public and of some advantage to the entire city, s a question often asked an an answer to it long waited for, but still unanswered, unless the failure of the city thus far to secure such a desideratum may answer the question in the negative. There is not a city of the size of Troy in the State so poorly cared for in this regard. An opportunity is now offered, or will be in a few days, to secure a most eligible site for such a public pleasure ground. Situated between this city and Lansingburgh, and just above the fair ground, is a beautiful grove—the only really beautiful grove within ten miles of the city—now known by the euphonious title of “Love Grove.” F. B. Leonard, executor of the estate of the late J. E. Whipple, to which a large section of it belongs, will sell the same in a few days. The Rensselaer County Agricultural Society contemplate selling their present grounds and purchasing a part of the property. Here, too, the city might secure a most beautiful spot for a public park. We presume the city—or some public spirited man who feels like doing the city an illimitable good and himself undying honor——in connection with the Agricultural Society might purchase the ground, and while the society could take the meadow land for its grounds, the city would have the grove and other sections for a public park. On the line of the horse railroad, the distance from the heart of the city would only give it additional attraction. Let us have a Central Park in Troy [NYC’s Central Park was opened in 1858]. Who will move in the matter?
Troy Daily Whig. April 17, 1866: 3 col 2.
Some of your readers would be astonished if I were to tell them that up at Lansing’s grove, where the Lansing family now live, there was once a large nail-factory; and that the brook that comes down through there, and across the road, furnished the power; and yet such is the truth. Otis Bates owned the factory and, in truth, the whole property. He had near one handred men at work there. William Lansing, father of John and Jacob, the owners of the lumber-yard, bought the property of Bates.
The tavern, in Batestown, known as Barney Adams’s place, was built by Bates; and, just below it, on the same side, he had a large nail-factory. The brook furnished the power.
“Old Man.” “Lansingburgh, N.Y.” Historical Magazine 10(1). July 1871. 35
https://books.google.com/books?id=U1U4AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA35 [It’s possible that the recollections of the “Old Man” confuse Batestown with what was known both as Adamsville and Baxterville in the northern part of the Village of Lansingburgh.]