Crumby Bolton (1843-1911)
—Crumby Bolton, Past Commander of Post Bolton, G. A. R., died suddenly at 11:45 o’clock last night at his home, 589 Third Avenue, Lansingburgh. He had been slightly ill since Thursday, but was about the house last evening. Sitting in a chair, he had been telling his wife not to be anxious about him, when suddenly he ceased speaking and fell back dead. Mr. Bolton was Quartermaster of Post Bolton, G. A. R., of which he had at one time also been Commander. He was active in all Grand Army endeavors. He was also a member of Jerusalem Lodge, F. and A. M., and of Phoenix Chapter, R. A. M. He had served on the Official Board of the First Methodist Church and belonged to the Masonic Veteran Association and the Rensselaer County Veterans’ Association. Post Bolton was named after his uncle, who was killed at Petersburg. Born in Clitherow, Lancashire, England, May 11, 1843, the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Dugdale) Bolton, Mr. Bolton came with his parents to Lansingburgh in 1849. He was educated in the public schools, and was learning a trade when he enlisted for the Civil War September 7, 1863, in Company 1, Twenty-first New York Cavalry. He was a Sergeant when mustered out in 1866. He then worked at the John Ames brush factory in Lansingburgh for three years, and later was employed by Richard M. De Freest, a cracker maker. In 1886 Mr. Bolton became a partner of George E. Skillman in the firm of Bolton & Skillman, cracker manufacturers. Mr. Bolton retired in 1896, when the firm was taken over by The National Biscuit Company. Besides his wife, Mr. Bolton leaves three sons, Edwin A., Milton F. and Richard D. Bolton; two grandsons and two granddaughters and a sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Colburn of Denver, Col.
Troy Times. January 28, 1911: 3 col 3.