Nicknames for Lansingburgh
Lansingburgh has had at least a couple nicknames: “the New City” and more colorfully “The Garden.”
‘The Garden’ will now have an opportunity to show itself. We hope the ‘burghers will prove to the outside barbarians that they are somebody, after all.
“Editorial Splinters.” Troy Daily Times.. September 21, 1852: 2 col 5.
The “Garden” is a delightful place to live in—that’s a fact.
“Home Matters.” Lansingburgh Democrat. October 5, 1854: 2 col 3.
Falling somewhat short of being nicknames, at least a couple descriptors have been applied to Lansingburgh that generally have been tied to subsuming it after its annexation by the City of Troy in 1901: “Upper Troy” and “North Troy.”
After the annexation, the Troy Times if not also other Troy newspapers tried renaming Lansingburgh “Upper Troy.” It didn’t take. They generally went back to calling Lansingburgh “Lansingburgh” by 1913 if not earlier, though news pertaining to Lansingburgh still could be found under other headers like “The Northern Wards.”
Prior to 1901, “Upper Troy” occasionally was applied to the Batestown and Middleburgh area between Hoosick Street and 101st Street. “North Troy” was more often applied to the Batestown-Middleburgh areas before and after 1901.
The “Upper Troy” label essentially died out, eventually being replaced by “North Troy” gravitating from the Batestown-Middleburgh area (now more often called “North Central” as on the City of Troy neighborhoods map) to Lansingburgh. The shift to some calling “North Troy” seems to have occurred during the World War II era – but then and now even the label “North Troy” is not that popular, residents still preferring Lansingburgh being called by its proper historical name.
Among other municipalities in the Capital District, researcher Barry Popik has documented the history of several city nicknames: Albany was nicknamed Sturgeondom or Sturgeontown; Schenectady was nicknamed “The Electric City” (and “Old Dorp”); Troy was nicknamed “The Collar City” and Troy was also nicknamed “Laundryville.”