Events and Programs
July 29, 2017 10am-2pm – Herman Melville Birthday Party event: Mary K. Bercaw Edwards’ “An Alchemist of Words: Melville’s Use of Sources.”
The Lansingburgh Historical Society (LHS) celebrates the 198th Anniversary of Herman Melville’s birth at its Fourth Annual Open House and Melville Themed Lecture. The Melville House will be Open to Explore 10 AM to 2 PM.
Noted Melville scholar, Mary K. Bercaw Edwards from the University of Connecticut, will speak at annual Melville birthday celebration in Lansingburgh on Saturday, July 29th. Her talk, entitled “An Alchemist of Words: Melville’s Use of Sources,” will be given at 10:30 AM.
As Mary remarks, “Herman Melville consumed books and was consumed by them. He argued with them, laughed and cried over them, exulted in them, and became fiercely angry with them. His books are filled with notes and jottings done with slashing pen marks and furious periods. ‘What execrations! What hatred against the human race! What exultation and merriment at eternal sufferings!’ he once wrote. This talk will look at Melville’s use of written and oral sources in his works and how he transformed them into greatness. As a magician of words, Melville enriched his sources, recombining them with his own special vision to create something ever more enduring.” In addition newly uncovered information on Melville’s enigmatic short story, The Lightning-Rod Man, will be revealed at this time.
Following the lecture, we cordially invite you to enjoy light refreshments, and birthday cake.
The Melville House, the 3rd floor Museum, and the 2nd floor private residence, will be open to tour at your leisure. Melville’s first two novels, “Typee,” and, “Omoo,” were written in the second floor study.
Members $5/Not-Yet Members $6
August 12, 2017 1pm-? – We Were Burghers Clam Steam at Lansingburgh Veterans Club $45.00
September 9, 2017 10am-2pm – Open House
October 14, 2017 10am-2pm – Open House
October 21, 2017 – Warren Broderick on “the Vanderheyden Murder”
November 4, 2017 10am-2pm – Open House
November 9, 2017 6pm-9pm Holiday Party and Auction event
We will update this section to reflect additional upcoming events soon. Thank you for your patience.
• Oakwood Cemetery http://www.oakwoodcemetery.org/cal_events.html
• Rensselaer County Historical Society http://www.rchsonline.org/programs/
• Hudson Mohawk Industrial Gateway http://hudsonmohawkgateway.org/tourscurrent.html
• Van Schaick Mansion http://www.vanschaickmansion.org/?page_id=624
• Brunswick Historical Society https://www.bhs-ny.org/events/
• Knickerbocker Historical Society (Schaghticoke) http://www.knickmansion.com/events
• Waterford Historical Museum and Cultural Center http://waterfordmuseum.com/plan-a-visit/test/
• Watervliet Historical Society https://www.facebook.com/Watervliet-Historical-Society-211135512273008/
• Spindle City Historic Society http://www.spindlecity.net
• Sanctuary for Independent Media http://www.mediasanctuary.org/upcoming-events